Monday, February 22, 2010

What's the deal?

We have had so many questions from concerned family and friends about what is going on with Six Flags. So here it is.........

When Jeff got back to work after Christmas brake (they got 2 weeks off!) there was a meeting with the CEO. He was told in the meeting that because Six Flags had filed bankruptcy last year they had to throw out the current lease with the Kentucky State Fair Board and agree on a new one. Apparently this is not a big deal and pretty standard in situations like this. The CEO continued to discuss what this means for Kentucky Kingdom, 4 possibilities.

1. agree on a new lease and everything stays the same
2. Fair Board takes over running the park
3. don't remember this one
4. no agreement can be made and the park closes.

They sent several proposals to the Fair Board and gave a 30 day deadline. When Jeff told me all this when he got home from work my first thought and words were "there's no way they are going to close this park, that would be stupid!" For the next month I never gave it a second thought and never even asked Jeff how things were going or if he had heard anything. I was 100% certain things would stay just the same.

On day thirty Jeff gets told to check the Kentucky Kingdom Facebook page, when he does there is an announcement from Six Flags stating they are closing the park. Yep, that's right. Jeff found out from Facebook. He checked his work e-mail and had announcements from the CEO and park president saying the Fair Board didn't accept any new lease agreements and the park will be closing. I was SHOCKED to say the least. And yes it's come down to e-mail and Facebook to tell employee's they are losing their jobs. In the same e-mail it said that all full-time employee's of the park will be transferred to other parks and they will create positions if need be. Well, we later found out that is not true. Jeff has to go through the hiring process all over again. He looks at the job postings, sends in his resume and waits to hear if he gets an interview. Now that's frustrating. Very few jobs were even available to apply for.

He was offered a job in San Fransisco, he said no. For what they were going to pay him we would have been living in a cardboard box. So where does this leave us? Jeff is on the job market once again and his last day of work is this Friday.

3 comments:

Danielle Strong said...

So sorry. I love your new header, so darling.

Noelle said...

I'm so sorry for this new and unexpected challenge you guys are facing.

marlene said...

I need not go on a two week computer strike I miss so much love you and your header wish I was there to drink diet coke and laugh and cry with you !! love you