One Friday afternoon while I was at work I get the call, the one that says "Andrew fell and cut his head get here now!" When I arrived at the scene Andrew was being held by Grandma Barrington and she was holding a towel over his head. He had pretty much calmed down by then but still crying a little on and off. When Kathy lifted the towel just enough for me to see the cut, I was taken back by what I saw. It was much worse than I pictured it being! He tripped running into the kitchen and hit his forehead on a cabinet. The hole was a little bigger than the size of a nickle and I could see his skull. Right away we got in the car and headed for the emergency room. We went to Baptist East b/c I head they have a pediatric er. Not knowing that it didn't open til 6pm we had to wait for over an hour to be seen. The saving grace part is that the nurses kept putting numbing gel on his forehead so the pain was going away. We were the first one's to be taken back when the pediatric er opened. By this time Allison was getting pretty hungry and b/c we left the house in such a hurry there was no bottle to be found! Thanks to the good staff there, they were able to have the nursey send some down to me. The dr. was really nice and a plastic surgen! I was hoping he would be considering he would be stitching up Andrew's face! Jeff and Kathy stayed in the room w/ Andrew while he got his stitches done, I was out in the hall w/ Allison not wanting to see my little guy papoosed and crying. Come to find out he did GREAT! Kathy held his head and Jeff talked to him the whole time to keep his mind off of what was going on. If the conversation stopped than Andrew would start to cry so they just kept talking to him and he was just fine. What a trooper, he always surprises me! So after 3 layers of stitches, a popcicle and a stuffed elephant and 3hrs we were ready to go home. That night and the next day I gave him some Motrin to help take the edge off. He doesn't remember anything from the er (good thing), all he talks about is how he "fell down at grandma's house".

This is what it looked like the next day. Looks absolutly great compared to before it was stitched up!

Pictures from the er are coming soon.........
7 comments:
That looks worse then I thought it would to bad I was not their to kiss it
Poor kid!! Make sure you put Mederma on it, it really works to make scars go away and prevent them from being worse than they have to be!!
Oh my goodness Monica - how awful for you both! I'm so glad he's recovering well - kids are soooo resilient! Much more so than moms!
I freaked out when I saw this post because I thought it Happened AGAIN.. but then I realized - it was the same one- whew!
I'm glad everything is okay now. He is a tough little kid. You are handling it like a pro (as always)!
His skull! Oh my word I would totally freak out! He is such a good boy--I'm so glad it turned out so well!!
I've never used Mederma but I know Vitamin E oil works good too. I've used it on all my scars and Great Grandma also recommended it...
Post a Comment