Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Consignment

This past weekend I sold some things in a consignment sale.  It's the first one I've actually sold things in and not just shopped at!  I'm trying to clear out some of the kids clothes that take up so much room storing.  Not because I think we are done having kids but because of space and wanting to make a little extra $$$.  Ok, and let's be honest I'll want to buy some new clothes for the next baby anyway.

It took me over a week to get everything ready for it.  Not only did I have to sort through the bins and decide what to put in the sale but I also had to print out tags, iron some clothes, hang everything and than attach the tags.  I got a system down and it actually went pretty quickly.  When it was all said and done I dropped off 3 bins of clothes and 1 big bin of toys.  When I went to pick up what was left on Monday I came home with 2 toys and 1 full bin of clothes and another 1/2 full.  So I didn't sell as much as I had hoped but out of 168 items I sold 68 and came home with $107.50.

I was actually very surprised by some of the things that didn't sell, like dress clothes.  None of Andrew's nice church clothes sold.  I did sell almost all the pj's, jeans, and all winter coats and snow suits.  I learned some things that I will do differently next time.

-use brightly colored paper to print the tags so it's easier to find my items
-attach pants more securely to the outfit (I had 2 pants come off the shirt so of course they didn't sell)
-toys sell very well so I'll put more in next time
-bigger sizes sold better than the infant sizes

So all in all I had a good first experience, got some things cleared out of my basement and made a little money also.  I'll do it again in November for the big toy sale and again in the spring.  I was talking to the lady in charge of the sale and she said that this one was not well attended because it's a new location.  So as people catch on to it maybe I'll be able to sell more next time!



2 comments:

Shannon said...

Congrats again on your sales. You'll have to post pics of your table. Also, I finally blogged. Just one post for today, but it's a start. No more Fabulous Four. :)

Scott, Kara, Paul, Brad and Andee said...

That's awesome! I tried kid to kid and only got $12. Paul is excited to visit when we go visit Scott's parents, so am I!